Technology has become a critical component in healthcare. It is not only a lifesaving factor but also gives a sense of reliability. Wireless technology in healthcare acts as a medium to bridge the gap between patient and doctor not only with accurate and up-to-date information but also enhancing treatment efficiency and reduction in healthcare costs.
More and more healthcare organizations are adopting wireless healthcare to avail facilities like improved patient safety, data accuracy, mobility and improved health processes. Although the acceptance of wireless is quite high in the developed and developing countries, the implementation of wireless devices is very slow. This is mainly due to the level of understanding people have about wireless devices and the risks involved in implementation. Hence medical facilities across geographies are working towards understanding the technology and implementing them for better patient care.
With the evolution of mobility devices, there is a shifting trend noticed among healthcare workforce from non-critical patient care applications to critical patient care applications. New wireless clinical monitoring and tracking devices are in place, which ensure that data security and HIPAA compliance measures being duly met. However, with lot of challenges to be overcome in the future, decisions need to be taken to figure out the efficiency and effectiveness of resources.
Some of the considerations to be made to make wireless mobility more effective in Healthcare:
· Proper network optimization in case of mobility is a key component for handling critical healthcare applications. Most of the recent wireless technologies need proper infrastructure and enactment.
· Hence the health IT administrators need to look for better wireless and security management concerns because not all wireless medical devices have the same Wi-Fi mobility capabilities. So it is important for hospital IT administrators to choose wireless medical devices that are embedded with certified Wi-Fi modules that can connect seamlessly and are backed with a stack of support services while moving across floors.
· Need for better security policies for patients/visitors when accessing hospital wireless facilities and BYOD facilities.
There are many ways that wireless can help increase the quality of patient care and clinical communications. Some of the benefits of using wireless mobility in healthcare institutions are as follows:
· With the help of mobility, doctors can now be present with any patient in any hospital via video conferencing and allow them to view real time patient information instantly. With wireless mobility, the efficiency of hospital staff towards dispensing patient care can be more focused and helps increase quality standards.
· Better communication and care go hand in hand. When clinicians can communicate easily, they can also diagnose and treat patients more quickly. Once ready, clinicians get lab results instantly. They can easily access vast medical databases from their smartphones, tablets and other mobile devices. Ultimately, the patient outcome improves.
· With real-time location mapping systems in Wi-Fi networks, all registered patients can be tracked anytime and anywhere within the footprint of the network. In case of emergencies, assistance can be instantly provided.
Mobility in hospitals can solve many problems that healthcare faces today. With appropriate steps taken while selecting and integrating wireless medical devices, hospitals can then take advantage of the secure wireless connectivity that Wi-Fi provides. Hence with wireless healthcare gaining importance over the old procedures in the developed and developing countries, adequate steps for authorization, assistance and assurance will be key to success.
ResearchFox had worked extensively on the Wireless Health Market and published Global Wireless Healthcare Market and Opportunities 2014 report. If you are interested to know more, you can write us explore@researchFox.com